Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf for any day of the week! This meatloaf is so tasty with bell peppers, hint of garlic, A1 steak sauce and topped with bacon and barbecue sauce. I love this meal because the meatloaf itself, is healthy and colorful and the addition of bacon brings a nice texture and flavor. Plus, let’s be honest. Anything with bacon, makes life a little better!
If you have followed me for awhile, you know that this is Aaron’s recipe without me having to tell you that. He is the bacon man. Bacon on anything and everything! Bacon all day every day… you get the point. We like using turkey for our meatloaf because it doesn’t get greasy and it is a healthier option. Sometimes swapping ground beef for turkey can make a dish more bland but you wont miss the ground beef flavors in this dish. The steak sauce and other flavors put into the turkey more than make up for it.
Speaking of greasy, you may not want to use a meatloaf pan to cook this recipe. If you use a meatloaf pan, make sure it is one that drains the fat because that bacon grease will be build up in the pan. I like to place the meatloaf on a small piece of parchment paper on a rack of a roasting pan. This way, the grease runs right off.
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf
Meatloaf does need to cook for awhile but the prep is incredibly easy. Just toss the ingredients into a big bowl and squish together and blend into a meatloaf log form. Wrap and weave the bacon over top. Let the meatloaf cook for awhile and have that bacon crisp up nicely. Then, 15 minutes before finishing cooking you will brush on the barbecue sauce. Use any kind of bacon but keep in mind the thicker cuts won’t be able to crisp as well as thinner cuts so pick one for your preference. Barbecue sauce used is also based on your taste preference. Pick the sauce your family enjoys or try a new one!
Red and green bell peppers are what we love to use in our meatloaf, although if you prefer a swap for something else there are plenty of options. Celery, carrots, mushrooms, or onions are commonly used meatloaf and would also taste fantastic in this particular recipe!
You may also enjoy this recipe for Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes for the perfect pairing.
Bacon Wrapped Turkey Meatloaf for any day of the week! This meatloaf is so tasty with bell peppers, hint of garlic, A1 steak sauce and topped with bacon and barbecue sauce.
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 eggs
- 2 pounds ground lean turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups oats
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons A1 steak sauce
- 6 slices bacon
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Gather ingredients, large mixing bowl, measuring cups, parchment paper, roasting pan, knife and cutting board.
- Put 2 pounds of ground turkey into mixing bowl.
- Wash and dice 1 green and 1 red bell pepper and place into bowl.
- Add 1 1/2 cups oats, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 2 eggs, 2 1/2 Tablespoons steak sauce in bowl and mix with hands until well blended. I recommend using gloves for this step.
- Put the meatloaf mixture on top of a small piece of parchment paper on the rack of the roasting pan and form it into a log.
- Wrap and weave 6 slices of bacon on top of the meatloaf.
- Place in oven for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush on 3/4 barbecue sauce of your choice on top.
- Place back into oven for another 15 minutes.
- Remove meatloaf from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Oven
Keywords: meatloaf, turkey, bacon