Broccoli Cheese and Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort dinner made with chunks of potatoes, carrots, onion and fresh broccoli in a thick, cheesy broth.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk, 2% or whole
- 2 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 pound broccoli, florets chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- Rinse the carrots and potatoes. Peel the potatoes and carrots.
- Dice the carrots, potatoes and onion. Mince garlic if using whole cloves.
- Chop the broccoli florets from stem and chop down florets to bite-sized pieces.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot on the stovetop on a medium-high heat.
- Add carrots and and onion to the pot. Stir and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Immediately add the flour followed by broth and milk. Stir well.
- Add potatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper. Add broccoli.
- Simmer for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when poked with a fork. Time can vary depending on the size the potatoes were diced.
- Remove from heat. Stir in shredded cheese.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top and freshly ground pepper. (optional)
- I did use a reduced fat cheese today but typically I would use full fat. Either works in this recipe.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
Keywords: soup, potatoes, broccoli, cheese