Crock-pot White Chicken Chili is made with chicken breast, Northern beans, yellow onion, chicken broth, salsa verde and seasonings. Top with sour cream , fresh avocado slices, tortilla strips and cilantro.
January is the month for soups and slow cooked meals. This time of year my crock-pot has a permanent spot on the kitchen counter so we use it daily – and we pretty much do just that! This Crock-pot White Chicken Chili
Crock-pot White Chicken Chili
Crock-pot White Chicken Chili is one of those really simple dump and go meals. Just make sure to soak the beans in a big bowl of water the night before so you can toss everything together in the morning. Cook on low all day, shred the chicken and serve with delicious toppings. We enjoy cilantro, fresh avocado, sour cream and crunchy tortilla strips.
If you want to thicken up the broth a bit, take your spoon or ladle and squish some of the cooked beans against the side of the crock-pot before serving! From time to time we also add extras in this soup. Put in whatever extras you have around the house like corn, carrots, celery, or herbs for more flavor and textures!
White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound Northern beans soaked overnight
- 2 chicken breasts
- 12 ounces salsa verde
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig rosemary optional
- sour cream topping
- tortilla strips topping
- fresh cilantro topping
- Soak the beans in water overnight.
- Place drained beans, chicken, salsa verde, and chicken broth into crock-pot.
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic cloves. Place into crock-pot along with 2 teaspoons cumin, 1 teaspoon pepper and a bay leaf. I also like to add a sprig of rosemary when I have it on hand.
- Cook on low 8-10 hours.
- Remove the rosemary sprig and bay leaf.
- Remove the chicken breasts, shred, and return to crock-pot.
- Mash some of the beans on the side the crock-pot with your ladle or spoon to thicken up the soup to your preference.
- Serve with your favorite toppings like sour cream, fresh cilantro and tortilla strips.
What topping will you put on your Crock-pot White Chicken Chili?