Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup is the ultimate comfort soup made with loads of ham, chunks of potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, chicken broth, milk and cheddar cheese.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, (finely diced)
- 2 celery, (diced)
- 2 carrots, (peeled and diced)
- 3 garlic cloves, (minced)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 large Russet potatoes, (peeled and diced)
- 2 cups ham, (diced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, (shredded)
- sea salt
- ground pepper
- Rinse the celery, carrots and potatoes. Peel the carrots and potatoes.
- Dice the celery, carrots, potatoes and onion. Mince the garlic cloves.
- Dice the ham. If using leftover ham, rinse off any glaze beforehand.
- Melt the butter in a soup pot on the stovetop on a medium-high heat.
- Add carrots, celery and onion to the pot. Stir and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Immediately add the flour followed by broth and milk. Stir well.
- Add ham and potatoes. Stir and bring to a boil.
- Salt and pepper to taste. I find salt isn't necessary in this recipe but you may like it.
- Reduce to a simmer and add a bay leaf. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when poked with a fork. Time can vary depending on the size the potatoes were diced.
- Remove bay leaf. Add a cup and a half of the cheese. Stir. Turn off heat and serve.
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese on top with chives and freshly ground pepper.
- Category: dinner