Chocolate Waffles are made with basic baking ingredients, cocoa powder and chunks of milk chocolate. Top with fresh strawberries and whipped cream for a special breakfast.
I have Valentine’s Day on the mind- it is only a few weeks away! I like to make something special every year for my family. It may be a big breakfast or a delicious cake… maybe just a fancy steak dinner. While a stuffed animal and a few heart-shaped chocolates are fun… there is something about baking or cooking for your loved ones that gives you all the good feels. This year, my homemade treat are these Chocolate Waffles! Let’s be honest though- do we really need a holiday to make these yummy waffles? Probably not.
Chocolate Waffles are really easy to make. Everything except for the egg whites and chopped chocolate go into a big mixing bowl to be whisked together. The egg whites are beaten until they come to peak, meaning they turn into a white foam, then they are folded into the waffle batter. A chocolate bar is chopped up and also folded into the batter for extra chocolate flavor.
**Make sure to read the instructions on your waffle maker because each will have a slightly different recommended cook time.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 ounces milk or dark chocolate chopped
- 2 egg whites
- non-stick cooking spray
- strawberries sliced
- whipped cream
- chocolate syrup
- Add the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk together. Dry ingredients are flour, cocoa powder, confectioners sugar, and salt.
- Add the vegetable oil, milk and vanilla extract. Whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites to a peak where the egg is like a stiff foam. Fold in the egg whites into the batter.
- Chop up a chocolate bar and fold into batter. You can use any baking chocolate you like - dark or milk.
- Heat up your waffle iron.
- Spray iron with non-stick spray. Add 1/2 cup batter (for a single waffle maker) and use a spatula to spread out the batter.
- Cook each waffle for 3 minutes or per waffle iron recommended cooking time.
- Top with chocolate syrup drizzle, sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
Do you make your family anything special for Valentine’s Day? Let me know about it in the comments below.