Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are made with basic baking ingredients, yogurt, poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice with a lemon glaze on top.
Mornings get crazy hectic around here so making a batch of muffins on Sunday night reduces that morning ‘what are we eating’ panic before school. If your a mom- you know the rush. Poppy seed muffins have always been one of my favorites and I love the extra touch of lemon and so does the rest of the family.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are made with basic ingredients plus some poppy seeds and fresh lemon. I could wake up to these babies every morning !
Tips & Tricks
For easy icing of the muffins : Dip each muffin top in the icing when they come out of the oven and then let cool on a cooling rack. This method is easier than drizzling and makes the amount of icing more consistent for each muffin!
Egg whites : Separate the eggs and place the whites in a bowl to beat to a soft peak. A soft peak is when the egg white is beaten to the point where when you lift the beater out of the bowl, a peak forms and then droops within moments. This will help create a fluffier muffin.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Poppy Seed Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add your dry ingredients together of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter and cup of sugar.
- Add the mixture of dry ingredients, milk, yogurt vanilla extract and egg yolks. Place the egg whites into a separate bowl. Set the egg whites to the side.
- Juice and zest your lemon. You want about 2 Tablespoons of juice and 1 Tablespoon zest put into the muffin batter. Reserve an extra Tablespoon of lemon juice for the icing.
- Beat the egg whites to a soft peak and then fold it into the muffin batter. Also stir in the poppy seeds.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the muffins bake, make the icing. Whisk together the confectioners sugar and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- Place icing on each muffin and let cool.