Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are made with basic baking ingredients, yogurt, poppy seeds, lemon zest and lemon juice with a lemon glaze on top. Recipe adapted from Kitchen Addiction.
Poppy Seed Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened )
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs (separated )
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add your dry ingredients together of flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix and set to the side.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the softened butter and cup of sugar.
- Add the mixture of dry ingredients, milk, yogurt vanilla extract and egg yolks. Place the egg whites into a separate bowl. Set the egg whites to the side.
- Juice and zest your lemon. You want about 2 Tablespoons of juice and 1 Tablespoon zest put into the muffin batter. Reserve an extra Tablespoon of lemon juice for the icing.
- Beat the egg whites to a soft peak and then fold it into the muffin batter. Also stir in the poppy seeds.
- Bake for 19-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the muffins bake, make the icing. Whisk together the confectioners sugar and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice.
- Place icing on each muffin and let cool.