Magnolia Lemon Pie with Candied Lemon Slices is a deliciously tart pie made with sweetened condensed milk and freshly squeezed lemons in a graham cracker crust topped with homemade candied lemon slices and whipped cream.
Candied Lemon Slices
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
Lemon Pie Filling
- 28 ounces sweetened condensed milk (2 cans)
- 3 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup lemon juice (4 lemons)
Graham Cracker Crust
- 10 graham crackers (1 sleeve)
- 6 Tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
Whipped Cream Topping
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 24 hours prior to servings your pie, begin the candied lemon slices. Wash and slice 2 lemons.
- In a saucepan on the stove top, bring 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar to a simmer and then add in lemon slices. Simmer for 15 minutes and place onto parchment for a day.
- Begin the crust. first pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the graham crackers and brown sugar into a food processor and blend for 1 minute. Add the melted butter and blend for another 30 seconds.
- Press the graham cracker mixture into the bottom of an 8 inch pie pan. I use spatula to press the graham cracker down and come up the the sides.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes.
- Begin the lemon pie filling. In a large mixing bowl, add condensed milk, egg yolks, and a pinch of salt. Juice about 4 lemons to get 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice and place into the mixing bowl. I like to juice the lemons into a separate small bowl and then add the juice to ensure I don’t drop in any lemon seeds. Use a hand or stand mixer to beat the mix for 5 minutes,
- Pat the bowl down on the counter top a few times to get the air bubbles out and then pour over baked pie crust.
- Bake another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let the pie cool and then place in refrigerator for 2 hours.
- As the pie chills in the refrigerator, make the whipped topping. In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups heavy whipping cream , 3 Tablespoons confectioners sugar and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract. Use a stand or hand mixer to beat until you have reached a firm peak which takes about 7 minutes.
- Decorate the pie with the candied lemon slices and serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Mint is optional to add a pop of color.
A touch of yellow food dye was also added in for these photos. Try 5 squirts for a more vibrant pie if you please!
- Category: Dessert