Pasta Aglio e Olio is a classic, simple pasta dish that can tossed together quickly made with loads of garlic, Parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, red pepper flakes, ground pepper, freshly squeezed lemon, olive oil and spaghetti.
Sometimes simple is best. Cooking dinner for the family on a hectic day doesn’t need to be complicated or expensive. That’s what is so wonderful about this pasta dish. It is made from ingredients you probably already have on hand and comes together so easily. A great recipe to have in your arsenal of family meals.
You may also enjoy :
Pasta Aglio e Olio
Pasta Aglio e Olio isn’t super colorful, nor is it unique or creative. This pasta dish IS tasty though! You get loads of garlic in every bite, the perfect amount of olive oil coats the noodles and Parmesan cheese adds the nutty note. I like to also add some crushed red pepper and fresh lemon juice for a bit of heat and extra flavor.
What does Pasta Aglio e Olio mean?
The literal meaning of Pasta Aglio e Olio is Pasta with Garlic and Oil. This traditional dish is made with thinly sliced fresh garlic cloves that are sauteed in a quality olive oil and tossed with pasta. Parsley, cheese, ground pepper, lemon juice, red pepper flakes are also in this recipe for a dish you will thoroughly enjoy.Print
Pasta Aglio e Olio is a classic, simple pasta dish that can tossed together quickly made with loads of garlic, Parmesan cheese, red pepper flakes, ground pepper, freshly squeezed lemon, olive oil and spaghetti.
- 1 pound spaghetti, dry
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes ( can add more for more heat)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water
- ground pepper
- Cook pasta according to instructions. Make sure to reserve 1/4 cup pasta water for later use.
- As pasta finishes cooking, heat up a pan on the stove top on a medium heat.
- Thinly slice garlic cloves and chop the parsley. Set to the side.
- Add olive oil to the hot pan, followed by crushed red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt and some ground pepper.
- Add the garlic and let cook for 1-2 minutes or until the garlic is nice and fragrant. Make certain not to burn the garlic in this step. I like to give the pan a few shakes so the seasoning and garlic cooks evenly and disperses flavor through the olive oil.
- Add lemon juice and pasta water. Stir and remove from heat.
- Add in the cooked and drained spaghetti, along with the Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley. Toss all ingredients together.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Pasta, cheese
Do you have a family favorite pasta dish that is just as simple?? Tell me about it in the comments below.