Potatoes with Chorizo is made with diced russet potatoes, red bell peppers, onion, taco seasoning and Mexican chorizo topped with a sunny-side up egg. Great for breakfast, lunch of dinner!
Potatoes with Chorizo is a spin on an authentic Papas con Chorizo which is a simple dish typically made with potatoes, chorizo and onion. Today, I just added a bit more flavors with taco seasoning and bell pepper for more of a Tex-Mex version. Also, I changed up the cooking process a bit by not just cooking on the stovetop but roasting the potatoes in the oven. Still a simple dish to make for the family that you can eat in a breakfast bowl like I did today or to put into tortillas for some delicious tacos or even on some crunchy tostadas.
Potatoes with Chorizo
Potatoes with Chorizo have a base of tender, perfectly roasted potatoes that have been flavored up with onion and red bell pepper. A packet of taco seasoning serves as an easy seasoning solution to amp up the flavor just a pinch more. Speaking of flavor…. the chorizo is everything adding in that nice spice. A sunny-side up egg completes this dish for me with a nice runny yolk spilling over the food as eating.
If you are not familiar with chorizo, it is a pork sausage that is typically spicy and heavily seasoned. For this recipe, you want a Mexican chorizo that is ground or in casings which can be removed. Just be sure not to buy a Spanish chorizo which is typically smoked as you want that raw sausage to cook.
I prefer this dish with a sunny-side up egg. However, you can cook your eggs any way you prefer. Fried is simple and just as delicious or making a batch of scrambled eggs makes cooking breakfast a lot quicker when cooking for a crowd.Print
Potatoes with Chorizo is made with diced russet potatoes, red bell peppers, onion, taco seasoning and Mexican chorizo topped with a sunny-side up egg.
- 2 large Russet potatoes, diced (6 cups worth)
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 ounce packet taco seasoning
- olive oil
- ground pepper
- 1 pound chorizo
- 6 eggs
- non-stick cooking spray
Garnish and Additions (optional)
- hot sauce
- green onion
- fresh avocado or guacamole
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Wash produce.
- Dice potatoes (skin on), bell pepper and onion.
- Place just the diced potatoes on a baking sheet and sprinkle with the taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and mix in with potatoes well.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, add in the diced onion and bell pepper. Stir and bake another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender when a fork is inserted.
- As the potatoes finish cooking, cook chorizo on the stovetop on a medium-high heat in a skillet. If chorizo is in casings, remove from casings and cook until browned throughout which should take about 6 minutes.
- Place chorizo onto a plate to the side, wipe pan clean and spray with nonstick spray and place pan back onto heat turning down to medium.
- Crack each egg and add to pan cooking until whites are set. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add a heap of potatoes to a plate topped with chorizo and an egg. Green onion, hot sauce, fresh lime and avocado are also great additions.
- Category: Mexican
Keywords: chorizo, pork, breakfast, brunch, taco, papas, potatoes,
Do you cook with chorizo often? Let me know some of your favorite recipes using the Mexican sausage!