Slow Cooker Ham and Bean Soup is made with Northern beans, leftover ham and ham-bone, carrot, celery, chicken broth, yellow onion and fresh herbs for a flavorful slow cooked meal.
- 1 leftover meaty ham bone (rinsed)
- 1 pound dry Northern beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 celery stalks (diced)
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced)
- 48 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- salt to taste
- Soak the beans overnight, rinse and place in crockpot.
- Rinse your leftover meaty ham bone (if previously cooked with sugars, honey, syrup) and dice up some of the meatier parts. Place the ham and bone into crockpot.
- Rinse the celery and carrots. Peel carrots. Dice and place into crockpot.
- Add a diced onion.
- Dump in 48 ounces of low-sodium chicken broth.
- Top with rosemary, thyme and bay leaf.
- Add a pinch of pepper.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove rosemary, thyme and bay leaf.
- Remove the ham bone and shred the remainder of the meat. Toss the bone and put shredded ham back into crockpot.
- Mash some of the beans on the side of the crockpot to thicken the soup.
- Stir and salt to taste. Wait to add salt until the end of cooking because the ham is usually salty enough and added salt may not be needed.
- Category: dinner