Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a breakfast packed with spicy chorizo, red and green bell pepper, yellow onion, eggs, tater tots and cheese.
Weekend breakfast is a big deal for my family. The kids wake up asking for eggs and bacon or pancakes or some other great breakfast food to kick off the day. Breakfast casseroles are one of those items I love to make when I get up to toss in the oven while everyone gets ready for the day to enjoy a hot meal together before heading out to our busy weekend activities. They are feeling and warm the stomach making them perfect for the fall and winter season.
You may also enjoy this meaty Bacon and Sausage Breakfast Casserole.
Southwest Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Southwest Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole has a super flavorful meat base thanks to the spicy chorizo with great color from the bell peppers that also balance out some of the spice with a sweetness. The tater tots help keep the tummy happy and full and eggs are added so the casserole all comes together. Shredded cheddar cheese adds a little sharpness on top for an all-around delicious casserole. Try adding some sour cream, salsa, hot sauce, guacamole or cilantro when serving for another level of flavor!
Tips & Tricks
You can use a mild or spicy chorizo depending on what your family enjoys. Just make sure to drain the excess oil that is in the pan before adding to the casserole dish. Too much oil will rise to the top when baking and may interfere with the eggs cooking up nice and fluffy inside.
Southwest Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a breakfast packed with spicy chorizo, red and green bell pepper, yellow onion, eggs, tater tots and cheese.
- 1 pound chorizo, (mild or hot)
- 1 green bell pepper, (diced)
- 1 red bell pepper, (diced)
- 1/2 yellow onion, (diced)
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, (shredded)
- 1 pound tater tots, (frozen)
- parsley or cilantro
- hot sauce
- Gather ingredients, cutting board, knife, pan, 2.5 quart casserole dish, aluminum foil, mixing bowl, whisk, measuring cup and kitchen utensils.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Dice the bell peppers and onion.
- On stove top, brown the chorizo.
- Drain the excess fat from chorizo and then place into casserole dish.
- Mix in the diced bell peppers and onion.
- In the mixing bowl add 10 eggs, 1/2 cup of milk and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk well and add to casserole dish.
- Layer the tater tots on top of the casserole, followed by shredded cheese.
- Cover casserole with aluminum foil and cook in oven for 1 hour.
- Remove foil cover, let cook another 10 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes and serve with some fresh parsley or any other toppings you want!
- Category: Breakfast