Taco Zucchini Boats are made low carb with ground beef, seasonings and black beans nestled into a zucchini and topped with red onion, queso fresco cheese and cilantro.
I am not sure I have ever met a taco I didn’t like! Since transitioning to a lower carb diet recently, I have been trying to find a good swap for our regular flour tortillas and this is a great option! Zucchini boats are easy to make, healthy and more than half the carbs you would find in a corn tortilla.
Taco Zucchini Boats
Taco Zucchini Boats are loaded with meat! I used the same seasoning in the meat that you find in these Ground Beef Tostadas and it gives these zucchini boats just the right amount of spice and flavor. Feel free to use whatever toppings you like! Red onion, queso fresco cheese, sour cream and cilantro were used today. You can use shredded cheddar cheese, olives, avocado sauce, shredded lettuce, tomato, or anything else you please!
Be aware of the carbs in black beans if you are on a keto diet. Kidney beans or black soy beans may be better options to stay lower carb.
Zucchini has been one of our biggest changes since going to a lower carb diet. Zucchini noodles have been making an appearance frequently and so have zucchini boats. You just wash the produce well and dry before cutting into. Cut lengthwise and also cut off the ends if needed. Scoop out the center pulp with a spoon and they are ready to be filled.
Taco Zucchini Boats
Spicy Ground Beef
- 1 pound ground beef lean
- olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 3 zucchinis
- 3/4 cup black beans
- Spicy Ground Beef
- non-stick spray
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- sour cream
- cilantro garnish
- Heat a nonstick skillet on the stove top on a medium-high heat. Drizzle the pan with olive and add the ground beef. Break up the ground beef into equal pieces until browned.
- Drain meat and return to pan with 1 Tablespoon water and all the Spicy Ground Beef seasonings. Stir until water is absorbed.
- Stir in the black beans.
- Wash, dry and cut zucchinis lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp center to create a boat. Place the boats in a baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Fill each zucchini boat with the spicy ground beef and black bean mixture.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 25 minutes or until the zucchini is tender.
- Remove from heat and add toppings: diced red onion, fresh cilantro, cheese and a drizzle of sour cream.
How do you keep taco night low carb? Let me know in the comments below.