A Salty Dog is a cocktail made with grapefruit juice and gin or vodka with a salt rim. Garnish with a slice of fresh grapefruit and sprig of rosemary to make a beautiful and delicious drink.
I feel like grapefruit is one of those foods that is more of an acquired taste. I don’t mind half a grapefruit every once in awhile in the morning with a sprinkle of sugar for breakfast. This cocktail is the same for me- it isn’t what I always crave but it is nice every once in awhile to switch things up! Plus, you can make it really pretty by adding some fresh slices of grapefruit and a sprig of rosemary for a pop of color.
A Salty Dog is just a greyhound (grapefruit juice and gin) with a salt rim added. Traditionally, this cocktail is made with gin but vodka can be substituted which is the way I like to make mine. You can choose to add the extra garnish of rosemary and fresh grapefruit to pretty up the cocktail and add just a touch more flavor or keep it simple without.
- 1 1/2 ounce Gin or vodka
- 4 ounces grapefruit juice
- coarse salt
- fresh grapefruit slice
- Dip the tip of your glass in water and then coarse salt to salt the rim. Traditionally a highball glass would be used.
- Fill glass with ice.
- Add a shot of gin or vodka.
- Place a slice of fresh grapefruit inside glass (optional).
- Fill with grapefruit juice.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary (optional).