Shepherd’s Pie with Beer Gravy is a deliciously comforting, traditional shepherd’s pie made with ground lamb, carrots, peas, celery and onion topped with a cheesy mashed potato baked to perfection with one little twist- the sauce is a hearty beer gravy made with Yuengling Lager.
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 carrrots (diced)
- 2 celery (diced)
- 1 onion (diced)
- olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup peas
- 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 cup Yuengling Traditional Lager
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes (peeled and quartered )
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese (shredded)
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- Peel and quarter potatoes 2 pounds of potatoes, place in a pot of water. Bring water to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender.
- Drain potatoes and put back into pot with 2/3 cups milk, 2/3 cups Parmesan cheese and 4 Tablespoons butter. Mash potatoes and place in a pastry bag with a large tip. Save for later.
Shepherd’s Pie with Beer Gravy
- In a large skillet, brown 2 pounds of ground lamb. Season with salt and pepper and drain excess fat. Set the meat to the side.
- Wash celery and carrots. Peel carrots. Dice the carrots, celery and onion. In the same pan, drizzle a little olive oil. Saute those diced onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Chop the rosemary and thyme leaves. Add to mixture. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Mince the garlic cloves. Add 1 Tablespoon butter and the garlic cloves to the pan. Cook for 1 minute careful not to burn the garlic. Add in the peas and toss together.
- Sprinkle with flour and add the drained meat back in.
- Add broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, and Yuengling Lager. Cook and reduce until you have a nice thick gravy.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the meat mixture into the bottom of a large casserole dish. Add the potatoes on top and bake for 20 minutes or until the top of the potatoes start browning slightly.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.